My TpT Store

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Author Study/Genre of the Month: Sharon Draper

In the past couple of years, I have started to do a "genre of the month" during reading class.  This is loosely based off of The Book Whisperer.  By the way, it is a fantastic and quick read that you won't regret buying.  I highly recommend it!

October's author is Sharon DraperI met this author at a children's book conference a few years ago.  She is funny and she's a former teacher, so she knows how to write high-interest books!

As with the other months, I put out a bunch of his books to be displayed for the entire month and I choose one to read aloud.  For Sharon Draper, I like to read aloud any of her "Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs" series books.  I think it was later renamed "The Clubhouse Mysteries" series.  This series is about a group of friends that solve mysteries together.  Since October is sort of a mysterious month, this genre seems perfect!  All the books are good for reading aloud, but The Buried Bones Mystery is a pretty good start.

 
 
Draper also has a "Sassy" series that may appeal more to female students.  The first book is below.
 
 
 
I also have websites available for students to research Sharon Draper  and find more books that they want to add to their "To Read" lists.  Harper Collins Publishers has this website called the Author Tracker and Reading Rockets has many more authors on this site.
 
Do you have a genre of the month or an author study?  I'd love to hear what you do with yours!

No comments: