My TpT Store

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Color Sorting and Fine Motor Activity

While in search of a boredom-buster activity for those cold winter days, I came across a few different ideas on Pinterest that seems to fit together nicely.  

An added benefit is that these activities incorporate the following concepts:
Color sight word recognition
Sorting
Fine motor skills

First, I wrapped some duct tape around two cardboard tubes (toilet paper rolls). I chose red and blue because it is what I had on hand and it matched some of the pom-poms I was going to use for the sorting activity.



Next, I used an old cool whip container on which to write the color site words.




I cut holes the size of the pom-pom on the top of the lid.




Presto! I had an almost instant sorting and color recognition activity!  Now, my son can just use his fingers to pick up and push the pom-poms into the holes.

To add a little challenge, I decided to use some tweezers to encourage my little one to work on his fine motor skills even more. 



Another variation to this activity is to use the toilet paper rolls previously mentioned. Just place these over top of the labeled holes, like in the picture below. 


You could tape these down so they are more stable, but it really isn't necessary. Now little man can do another sorting activity, with just a tiny adaptation of materials.



As a final added benefit, all the materials fit snugly inside the container!



There you have it! It really only took me about 15 minutes to put together and it came from all the materials I already had on hand. 

How do you beat boredom when you're stuck inside on snowy days? I'd love to hear your tips and ideas!


No comments: