My TpT Store

Sunday, January 29, 2017

DNA Color-by-Number

Would you like an easy way to teach the nucleotides and base pairs of DNA?  Do your students like crafts and/or coloring?  Then check out my DNA Color-by-Number!


DNA color-by-number to teach the nucleotides and base pairs of DNA.  Life Science: DNA



This Color-by-Number worksheet is meant to be an introduction into the nucleotides and bases that make up the structure of DNA.

I use this as an introductory activity, with no prior teaching. 

After it is colored, we talk about the matching patterns of the base pairs (A with T and C with G). 
I also explain to them that these pairs can happen in an infinite number of sequences, such as:
A-T, C-G, A-T, C-G
OR
C-G, C-G, G-C, A-T

I further explain that any mismatched pairing of bases, A-C or G-T for example, would result in a mutation of the gene.  This mutation could be inherited by the offspring of the organism.

Finally, we talk about how not all mutations are a bad thing because this is how evolution happens.

If you'd like to pick up a copy, click here.


How do you introduce the structure of DNA?  I'd love to hear about it!




No comments: