My TpT Store

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Genre/Author of the Month: Andrew Clements

In the past couple of years, I have started to do a "genre of the month" during reading class.  This is loosely based off of The Book Whisperer.  By the way, it is a fantastic and quick read that you won't regret buying.  I highly recommend it!

August's genre of the month is Realistic Fiction.  I like to start with this because most students can really relate to this genre.  It also allows me to start with one of my favorite authors:  Andrew Clements.

I put out a bunch of his books to be displayed for the entire month and I choose one to read aloud.  To be honest, the read-aloud is ALWAYS Frindle.  This book is so much fun to read because everybody loves a book about student vs. teacher, especially when the student wins his share of the battles. 

 
 
If you would like to include Andrew Clements's books in your classroom, here are some more of my favorites:
We the Children: Keepers of the School (This one is more of a mystery)
Things Not Seen (supernatural-science fiction)

 
I also have websites available for students to research Andrew Clements and find more books that they want to add to their "To Read" lists.  Harper Collins Publishers has this website called the Author Tracker and Reading Rockets has many more authors on this site.
 
Do you have a genre of the month or an author study?  I'd love to hear what you do with yours!

No comments: