My TpT Store

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery

Now that the weather is a bit chillier and coffee shops everywhere are offering flavors only available this time of year, it's time to use those sensory experiences in your writing with my Winter Bakery: Sensory Writing for the Season!


Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery.  5-Senses writing.


The first thing I like to do with students is to read some sensory-filled mentor texts with the students.  We collect words that match each of the senses in our writing journals and I keep them on anchor charts as we go.


Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery.  5-Senses writing.



My Sensory Writing Packet includes several more mentor text suggestions, but these are two of my favorites.
Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery.  5-Senses writing.



Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery.  5-Senses writing.

Before reading, I hand out the a double-sided graphic organizer.  The first side has my filled-in version of the "5 Senses Organizer" and the other side is blank.  The filled-in version is below.


Seasonal Sensory Writing: Winter Bakery.  5-Senses writing.


We talk about why I chose the words I did to fill in the organizer (descriptive and sensory).  They then try to find words like these in the mentor texts as we read them aloud together and fill in their side of the organizer.

We also discuss their favorite place to eat. It can be everything from their own kitchen to Panera. I do try to steer them towards a place that offers an atmosphere unique to the season. For example, if their favorite place to eat is Burger King, they are not going to have as much to write about pertaining to the holidays. However, we work with what we get. Even Burger King offers some sensory experiences.


If you'd like to pick up a copy of my Winter Bakery: Sensory Writing for the Season, click here.


How do you bring the season's sensory experiences into your writing?  I'd love to hear about it!




No comments: