TpT is hosting a 2-Day Back to School Sale to help teachers head into the 2017-2018 school year feeling inspired, confident, and prepared. I will be offering a discount of 20% AND TpT will provide an additional 5% promo code to be used during checkout. That means you will get a total of 25% off EVERYTHING in my store! The sale starts Tuesday, August 1st at 12:01 a.m. ET and runs through Wednesday, August 2nd at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Would you like to teach debate and/or persuasive/opinion writing in your science class? Are you looking for a mentor text that provides evidence for both sides of the debate? Then Let’s
Think About Sustainable Energy by Vic Parker is your go-to book!
of the “Let’s Think About” series, this title continues to challenge readers to
consider alternatives to the status quo. This time, the controversial topic is sustainable
alternatives to fossil fuels. Pros and cons for environmental impact, cost, and
sustainability for each form of energy: Geothermal, hydropower, solar, wind,
biofuel, tidal, and nuclear.
“Did You Know?” boxes break up the main text with
facts from other reports and opinions that support both sides.
After reading all the facts and opinions, the book prompts the
reader to take their learning to the next level by researching and debating the
issue with friends in the “What Do You Think?” boxes.
Multiple pictures with
captions and graphics help make this content-rich book easier to read, so it would be appropriate for upper-elementary and middle school. Additional print and electronic resources on the topic, as well as suggestions
for further research are included in the back of the book.
The five steps to
follow when preparing for a debate are included at the end of the book.
Do you have mentor texts for teaching debate/opinion/persuasive writing? I'd love to hear what you use!
Teachers work so hard all year long to organize their classroom in a way that is both functional for the teacher and creates independence in students. It got me thinking: Why not use that system when it comes to our summer vacations?
The following are organizational rules I live by in my classroom that also serve me well when I'm vacation.
Rule #1: Keep the most important supplies visible
For this, I use Sterilite drawers. I prefer the 2-drawer cart for vacations because its drawers are large enough to carry bulky items and they come out of the cart for easy transport to various rooms. The carts go right in the back of the car.
NOTE: I do NOT use the wheels because I don't want them rolling around in the back of the car. If I was using them in the classroom, I would definitely put the wheels on.
Rule #2: Label EVERYTHING
Since the contents of the drawers are likely to change during the vacation, I use packing tape and a Sharpie to label the drawers.
NOTE: I use a more permanent labeling system in my classroom. I print, laminate, and cut out the labels and hot glue them to different baskets and drawers throughout the room. That way, I can easily change the label if I change or move the contents.
LIFE HACK: Fold a corner of the tape before cutting and/or putting the tape down permanently. This helps the tape come off the drawers easily AND you'll never lose your place on the tape roll again!
Rule #3: Keep lesser-used materials in storage until needed.
The materials we won't be using during the trip go in vacuum bags and stored in our car top case. We bring our vacuum so we are able to re-seal the bags when we leave.
LIFE HACK: If you can't bring a vacuum, just seal the bag until there's only a little space open and lie down on top of it to get the rest of the air out. Quickly seal it up and it will lie ALMOST as flat as it would if you had vacuumed the bag. NOTE: This won't work with fluffy items, like pillows.
Have you ever found yourself using the organizational strategies from your classroom in your home or on vacation? I'd love to hear how!
Would you like to give your students more independence by providing them with a classroom schedule they can read on their own? Check out my Class Schedule Cards!
Analog clocks are included to help students practice their clock-reading skills, or you can simply write the digital time above the activity.
The clocks and activity cards can be printed and laminated to use for showing your daily schedule. There are 15 different subject cards, ranging from "Arrival" to "Social Studies", and 20 blank analog clocks so you can draw the times in for each subject.