My TpT Store

Monday, January 20, 2014

Author Study/Genre of the Month: Deborah Wiles

In the past couple of years, I have started to do a "genre of the month" during reading class.  This is loosely based off of The Book Whisperer.  By the way, it is a fantastic and quick read that you won't regret buying.  I highly recommend it!

February's author is Deborah WilesThe genre of the month is Historical Fiction, and Wiles has written several books about the 50s/60s that are kid-friendly.  I got to meet Wiles at a children's book conference a few years ago.  She's knowledgeable and friendly, and it comes through in her books.

As with the other months, I put out a bunch of his books to be displayed for the entire month and I choose one to read aloud.  For Wiles, I like to read aloud Freedom Summer.  This is a shorter picture book, but it's great for digging deeper into the integration issues of the 50s/60s.

 
I also have websites available for students to research Deborah Wiles  and find more books that they want to add to their "To Read" lists.  Harper Collins Publishers has this website called the Author Tracker and Reading Rockets has many more authors on this site.
 
Do you have a genre of the month or an author study?  I'd love to hear what you do with yours!

No comments: