Are looking to improve school or teacher morale in your building? Whether you are a principal or part of a morale-boosting committee, check out this post on what incentives teachers want most!
Some things to keep in mind before choosing your incentives:
- Remember: It isn't the gift/prize, it is the thought that someone cares.
- Get to know your staff. Some people would rather have tangible prizes, while others would be thrilled with having their class covered for an hour.
Some general low-cost or no-cost prizes that teachers might like:
- Scratch-Off lottery tickets (check to make sure they are allowed in your building first)
- Passes to wear jeans on a non-jeans day
- Someone will bring coffee/their favorite beverage to their classroom
- Candy delivery
- Make their copies
- Recess coverage
- Offer to help grade a set of papers (1/2 hour of time. )
- Lunch delivered from a take- out restaurant.
- Give little “pick-me-ups” through the year at random times. For example, Post-it pad and a pen, or a sheet of stickers and a bookmark...cute little things that are inexpensive but that brighten a teacher's day.
- Waive your walk through/observation for the day
- Get out of school free pass - allowed to leave 10 -15 minutes early one day
- Let the teacher leave when the students leave one day
- Late start for the day (cover homeroom)
- The teacher gets a "free" day to do something fun with their class, maybe board games, outside time, sidewalk chalk art, whatever the teacher thinks will be fun.
- Offer to cover an hour of class for a teacher so they can have extra planning or a longer lunch.
- Reserved parking spot (Depends on size of school)
What are some things you'd add to the list?