My TpT Store

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Classifying Clouds by Make-Up and Altitude

We are in the middle of a science unit on weather.  One of my favorite parts of this unit is when we learn about the different types of clouds and what weather they predict.

I found a really neat example of how to make a visual representation of cloud types on The Inspired Classroom blog.


We focus on (in order of lowest altitude): Stratus, Cumulus, Cumulonimbus, Cirrus.  We add little blurbs about actual altitude and what type of weather we can expect from each cloud just beneath the visual.

I've also used cotton balls in the past, but it tends to be a bit time-consuming and messy with all the glue.  Trust me, Fourth-Graders still use too much regardless of how many times you remind them!  If you want to go that route, here's a picture of of a cloud flip book from Crazy for First Grade.


What do you use to teach clouds?  I'd love to hear your ideas!




No comments: