My TpT Store

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Center Organization Linky Party

Two things I've really been working hard to try to incorporate in my classroom this year: The Daily 5 for intermediate grades and organization.  So, when The Lesson Plan Diva started hosting a linky party for center organization, I was more than happy to participate.

Check it out for yourself:


So far my organization isn't fancy or ingenious, so I'm happy for any suggestions you might have.

These are the color codes I put on my classroom library books. This is based off of Beth Newingham's system.  Check it out at http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/library%20Organization.htm



I also use her basket labels that help students find different book genres more easily.  It's kind of hard to see the labels, so you can check it out at http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/basket_labels.htm
The double copies of books (buddy books) are in the baskets on top.  They're organized by the last name of the author.


This is the rack where I keep my "Hot Reads" (the books I've recently read and enjoyed). 

This shelf is half listening center (the white and blue baskets) and half student supplies.  The white baskets are portable tape players (known as walkmen for all us products of the 80s) and the blue are the portable CD players.  I wrote numbers on the CD/tape players in Sharpie, and hot-glued the corresponding number on the basket.  That way, students know which players belong in which basket.


This is a close up of the table that houses the hanging bags that hold the books on CD and books on tape.  Both the book and the CD/tape are in the bag.  I try to keep the CDs and tapes on seperate hanging racks.  There's a pull-out drawer on wheels below.  I keep the extra books and listening equipment down there.

I got the hanging racks at http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/store+more%26reg-+wire+works+hang-up+totes+storage+rack.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search for $20.00. 


Here's my "Literacy Center."  I'm trying to divide the pockets into various Daily 5 categories, but I'm not all done with that yet.


This is a close-up of some the cards I'm using to help the kids differentiate between the stations.  I also try to include these on the activities themselves, so everything returns to its rightful home at the end of the day.


Here's where I store extra center materials, particularly the bulky ones.

3 comments:

Ms. Chrissy B said...

I like those clear pockets!

Buzzing with Ms. B

Ms. Chrissy B said...

Also, newest follower! I like your blog title - that's what we do, isn't it?

Buzzing with Ms. B

Heather said...

Thanks Chrissy! Nice to meet you! The pockets hang under my chalkboard, and I think they came from Really Good Stuff. I have to be creative with my space because I have a smaller room with very little storage.