This week's topics:
What do you plan to do with your "stuff" that you no longer want?
I cleaned out several desk drawers in the effort to get rid of my desk entirely. I found boxes and boxes of paperclips (yikes!) and "sticky" pads that weren't sticky anymore.
I cleaned out several of the cubbies behind my desk. I found teacher materials I collected in college (double yikes!) and themed lessons from the previous teachers who had my room.
Top four places to send clutter or organize:
- Put it in the teacher break room with a "Free to a Good Home" note
- Recycle bin
- Trash can
- Relocate it to an organized, yet less visible area (closets, high shelves)
What are your rules for purging?
- How often do I use it? If I haven't used it in THREE years, it needs to go. Why three? Well, because I have had three entirely different classes with three sets of entirely different needs in the last three years.
- How often do I access it? If it's only once a month or year, put it in the back closet. Only keep daily/weekly accessed materials within close reach.
- Can I repurpose it to make it more useful? I'm working on amping up my easel, which has sat in the back corner (practically unused) for the last three years. I want shelves underneath, and I also want to use it for my writing center/anchor charts. Stay tuned for that project...
- Dollar store small containers with lids
- Sticky labels (for small containers listed above) made via Vistaprint. I love my polka dots!
- Small clear containers that can hold miscellaneous office supplies
- Labels for the containers above (also Vistaprint). I get my other love: buttons!